PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor Overview:
Our PING)))™ ultrasonic sensor provides an easy method of distance measurement. This sensor is perfect for any number of applications that require you to perform measurements between moving or stationary objects.
Interfacing to a microcontroller is a snap. A single I/O pin is used to trigger an ultrasonic burst (well above human hearing) and then “listen” for the echo return pulse. The sensor measures the time required for the echo return, and returns this value to the microcontroller as a variable-width pulse via the same I/O pin.
The PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor is compatible with all Parallax educational robots. It is also supported by many bonus projects for BASIC Stamp, Arduino, Propeller, and micro:bit on the Parallax Learn site.
- Provides precise, non-contact distance measurements within a 3 cm to 3 m range
- Ultrasonic measurements work in any lighting condition, making this a good choice to supplement infrared object detectors
- Simple pulse in/pulse out communication requires just one I/O pin
- Burst indicator LED shows measurement in progress
- 3-pin header makes it easy to connect to a development board, directly or with an extension cable, no soldering required
- Security systems
- Interactive animated exhibits
- Parking assistant systems
- Robotic navigation